Sunday, September 26, 2010

She Kings

Last weekend my sister "G", I and and a bunch of our friends went to a Drag King contest. Drag King (or She King) for those not aware is the girl version of Drag Queens. Girls who either want to transition into boys or just like to dress like boys and they perform (I think thats it). I'm still learning.

We knew a few girls, err guys who were participating. I've seen thousands of Drag Queen shows and love them. This would be my first Drag Kings show and I was really excited to see how it would be.

I was not disappointed! What a great show and my respect for these guys has grown 10-fold. I realized while watching the performances that this was not just a "performance" for some of them. This is how they wish the world saw them and they want to live as men without being questioned. I have such respect for them. Especially the local entrants as they are out there on the stage performing as men in front of their peers. Mostly lesbians.

This Performing is how they are comfortable in their skin and so want to be seen as men. Some will never transition, some may. But I guess what I'm saying is its not easy. Its not easy most of the time being a lesbian or homosexual in todays world much less a woman/man wanting to be the opposite of their birth sex to feel whole.

I talked to one of our good friends who dresses very male and is in "Drag King" training school. She says its like she was born the wrong sex and needs to be fixed. She doesn't have a very supportive family. They barely acknowledge her being lesbian, she says they will never accept her living as a male much less transitioning. I imagine much of this is due to their strong Cuban heritage. I really feel for her.

Here are some pics from the show and afterwards. How courageous! I applaud and support them all.
This is Teddy. He won Drag King a couple of years ago.

This is Silke, he won the She King at this show. Very good performance.

Stix is a cutie!! Ex-She King winner.

I can't remember his name. But he was very good! =)

And this is Spikey Dikey or Jamie. I am in love. He is not transitioning but has made an art of gender bending, or gender-fuck as he puts it.
Amazing.
Adorable.
We partied with him and Teddy afterwards and they are both just awesome people.
Jamie and I are friends on FB now.
I don't stalk him.

Much. =)

Spikey Performing

Wait, it gets better...he was the innovator of a new form of binding which is now used by many Drag Kings all over the country. Its a tribal design made to conceal the chest and other secrets to further the illusion. It works. ;)

G and Jamie at the bar afterwards

Thats me molesting Teddy at the bar. He is adorable!

G and Teddy at the bar.

And a special treat.....Here is Jamie, Spikey Dikey performing on stage (different night a few years ago).

And I'll eventually talk about my insane love of P!nk on here. Jamie, Spikey performs U & Ur Hand. ::sigh::

YUMMY. YUMMY. YUMMY.

My infatuation with women lately is ummmm, I dunno.

Have a good week my beauties! Only 5 more days till the weekend. ;) Muahs!

9 comments:

  1. I am in love with Spikey. Complete and total love.

    I want to marry him. Please, Jamie, marry me!

    That statement is HUGE. I've never wanted to marry anybody!

    Since y'all are good friends, can you pass on my proposal?

    Pretty please?

    Thanks, Sugar.

    xoxo
    sitting here patiently waiting for him ~vk~


    ps...welcome to the dark side, baby! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all gotta be who we gotta be, and as I've always said in life, this is it, the real thing, there aint no rehersal. I loved spikey... I went to my first Pride this year... I fitted in, just right.. just like a glove.. I love your blog, my kinda stories..

    Indi

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd do "me" or "g"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teddy is pretty cute! Looks like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spikey is so hot I am willing to change my ways for her. What a fun experience. My best friend is a black lesbian woman named CT. She's butch and beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very intersting and looks like a fun time for all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, they are both just too cute and too sexy for words! I've never heard of a Drag/She King. I should ask my ex-niece if she's ever been to one. Anyway, looks like it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really cool! Wish I could have been with you all! The argyle sweater and glasses would be coming home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was invited to a drag queen show but couldn't go. I was bummed. That was back in my single days. Never heard of a drag king show. Looks like fun though!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to all comments via email. If you don't have an email linked to your name, I can't reply....
He who hesitates is a damned fool. ~ Mae West
Don't hesitate, comment away....