Thursday, November 11, 2010

I Miss You

As a child it was another day off school. We spoke of my great-grandfather who was in a war and roamed the countryside in Europe blessing the troops and giving last rights to the dead and dying as an enlisted Episcopal Priest. I grew up in a small town so we had a parade every year for Veterans Day. All the old Vets would dress up in their freshly pressed uniforms and march down the main street. Although I didn't know what it was I was feeling as I watched these men pass by me on the street, I know now it was Pride.

I couldn't understand why I would get all choked up when they played our National Anthem or America the Beautiful. I know now it was Pride. I still cry when I hear the National Anthem played.

My oldest brother was in the Navy. He is 11 years older than me so when he left I was only 7 years old and didn't quite understand where he was going and why. I just knew he left for really long periods of time and missed most of our holidays and other siblings birthdays. I understood much better what he did when we went to NY Harbor and got to go on his ship for OP Sail in '76. Afterall I was 11 then. I remember seeing him waiting for us when we boarded the Carrier. He was wearing his dress whites which looked So Important to me. When I finally got to hug him, I cried. I once again couldn't figure out why I was feeling this way and crying. Sure I had missed him but I know now it was pride.

I've always had a respect for our military and gave them the kudos they've always deserved. I know without our Veterans past and present, We Would Not Be Free or the Greatest Country on Earth. Thats how I feel about it and no one will ever change my mind. The soldiers, sailors and airmen are our savoirs. They do not get to choose where or when they go into battle. They are told where and when and they follow orders. That is all there is to it. They deserve my respect because every last one of them has earned it. A whole lot have paid the ultimate sacrifice so I may live in freedom. I will honor them by loving my Country and never giving up on her.

Aside from my brother being in the military I really had no connection to the life and what it entailed. I was young when he was enlisted. I went for weeks and didn't think of him. Sounds cold and callous, but I was a little kid and had more important things to do. Like build forts in the woods and play flashlight tag with my friends.

The proudest day of my life was the day I gave birth to my daughter. I wasn't proud of me, I was proud of her. It's really unexplainable unless you have one of your own.

The second most proud day of my life was when I watched her graduate from bootcamp almost two years ago. Talk about a blubbering mess. Her actual two year anniversary in the military was this past Nov 5th. 2 years down, 4 to go.

My eyes have been glued wide open in the last two years when it comes to military life and what that life entails. My heart aches for all the military wives/husbands and children who miss their loved ones. I do understand now.

I haven't gotten real personal on this blog (except pics lol) so I guess this would be that post. My kid and I are beyond close. We've been best friends since the day she was born. I was a single parent and she was an only kid. A better kid and best friend I couldn't of asked for. She is a gem. The dog tag I wear in a lot of my pics is one of hers. I wear it everyday, it's a way of keeping my baby close to my heart.

I Miss You

I miss you in the morning,
I miss you late at night,
But I know what you are doing
Is good and just and right.

You’re always in my thoughts;
I hope that you can see
I’m proud of you for serving
Our country, God, and me.

And when you’re home again
I won’t miss you anymore,
But I’ll always admire your courage
For fighting in this war.

By Joanna Fuchs

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those Veterans that have served and are serving our Great Nation. Your sacrifices are not forgotten and we are a Free Nation because of you. May you all come home safe to your families.

To those that will serve I ask that you don't listen to some in our government and current society that devalue honor, duty, heroism, patriotism and your willingness to serve your Country.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Mama.

    When you see her, give her a hug from me.

    You know I understand this more than my words can say. I have just under 3 weeks left.

    xoxo
    ~vk~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still cry when I hear the National Anthem played.


    dan it now I think I love you.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just gave me goose bumps. I would be proud too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you see your daughter, give her a hug and kiss from me. Tell her I'm proud of her and thank her for what she is doing. You've made me tear up at this post - your love and pride shine, girl!

    I love our Anthem and get pissed as all hell when people don't stand and/or sing along when it's played.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had sometimes wondered about the dog tag. This post was completely moving and touching. You are a wonderful person, a good mother, siste and patriot all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so moving and beautiful. I'm glad you are going to have your baby home for a bit to spend time with her. Just a wonderful post, Sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to all comments via email. If you don't have an email linked to your name, I can't reply....
He who hesitates is a damned fool. ~ Mae West
Don't hesitate, comment away....